Skip to main content

Public Speaking: IT SUCKS, but here's how you can get better at it

 Not many people know this, but I was actually afraid of public speaking.


I still remember the first big speech I gave at my friend's wedding and I was terrified.

At one point I actually began to go blank and forgot what I wanted to say.

And yet, that wasn't the first time I had to speak in public.

I had talked to hundreds of people for years, mainly to answer phones and deal with complaints.

So how did I overcome the fear of speaking in public?

Well, it wasn't easy, but the top 10 things helped the most:


1. Practice your speech in front of a mirror

One of the top things you have to do is a mirror test - a professional will ask the audience to look at themselves in the mirror.

Then they'll say.

"I didn't know you wanted to say something here"

Which usually raises a lot of laughs.

The mirror test is a very effective way to test out the quality of your speech.

Remember to rehearse your speech in the mirror repeatedly.

Your audience will greatly benefit from it, especially your facial expressions and your audio.


2. Practice in front of a friend

Most people are afraid to practice in front of other people because they don't want to embarrass themselves.

You're smart enough to know that won't be the case.

I recommend writing a list of a few public speaking people you know and trust.

Mine was including a couple of family members, a couple of people who used to be co-workers, and a couple of friends.

Look, hear and listen thoroughly.

Remember, the more you practice, the more familiar you'll be with your subject.


3. Come prepared to practice

Talk about topics.

Things you don't feel comfortable with.

Don't worry about what other people think.


4. Pay attention

Don't take too many notes.


5. Ask questions

Some of the best lessons come from questions.


6. When in doubt, ask

The more you know, the less you'll worry.


7. Set a goal, and stick to it

You want to show your advisor you're serious.


8. Be confident

You've prepared!


9. Act like it's no big deal

Most public speakers look eager, excited, and eager.


10. Use your voice


We are all limited by our voice.

Express your passion.


I hope that all helped