Skip to main content

Our Fears As Estate Agents


The more Letting & Estate Agents I have worked with, the more I have realised it’s never a strategy issue.
 
Many (not all) Letting & Estate Agency bosses want the ‘silver bullet to get market share’, the ‘secret sauce' to growing a lettings book.
 
But the silver bullet, the secret sauce is almost always the boss's mindset is wrong.
 
And it all comes down to fear.
 
  • Fear of being judged
  • Fear of being taken advantage of
  • Fear of rejection
  • Fear of inadequacy
 
As humans, most of us (including myself) incline ourselves to justify those fears with superficial shallow reasons.

So we don’t actually fear the video camera, it just takes too long to edit it

I don’t call lost free valuations as I don’t want to bother them

 
So we are not actually scared of the rejection, we just don’t think door knocking is professional.
 
That sounds so much nicer to tell ourselves.
 
Never mind the fact that video editing, cold calling, and acceptance of rejection can all be learned skills

Meaning anyone else can learn them.
 
It’s much easier on the soul to accept those shallow reasons than embrace the underlying fear.
 
Yet everybody has fears.

I hate looking at myself on my videos - I don’t even watch them back to today.

Yet I recognised those fears and pushed back against them and hit publish.

I used to be terrified of rejection, and still am a little bit, yet again I pushed at that door it a few years ago and overcame it.
 
It was bl**dy hard.
 
And the fear is never really gone, yet each day you can always improve.
 
The number one truth is though, if you want to achieve anything in this world, including growing awesome market share or loads of managed properties on your books, you have got to face your fears.