Skip to main content

When Watkin was made redundant

 I felt helpless when unemployment hit me in June 2010. I ran one of biggest Halifax Estate Agents in the UK, LSL had taken them over for £1 a few months before, and I was told to pick 5 members of our team of 13 to make redundant. 

That was a dreadful week and the conversations with my colleagues were awful. 

The boss came into the office on the afternoon of the day of redundancy notices being given. The boss asked me to go to the coffee shop, where he told me I was also to be made redundant. 

Ba$t*rds got me to do their dirty work. It was the first time I cried at work

And now some of the best Estate & Letting Agents I have ever met, who have consistently smashed their targets, are still on furlough and probably will be made redundant. 

One of the corporates infamously, without any empathy, let a lot of its staff go with a 2min phone call at the start of Covid and I suspect many more will go once furlough is finished.

The agents who had planned for these uncertain times of their life have savings and will take time off, yet many agents who don’t have savings, will be forced back into the world of employment on their knees. 

I find it fascinating that many agents are beating a path for the exit, yet trying to re-enter through the same door they came out of. My message to them is, dont be too hasty to run back in

Yes the sale pipeline is full .. but it isn’t cash in the bank. There is an awareness by many EA bosses that they have been overstaffed and can actually generate more with fewer people. I am also hearing many bosses are enjoying being back at the coal face.

The world is changing - that isnt your fault - yet it is your responsibility to change to it. 

Dont be afraid to ask yourself 'is agency really is for me?'

This furlough is a pause on your life. You have many skills that are transferable to other professions. This Summer has reset the risks related to your job/career and your ability to earn a wage.

Trust me - this is not a sad story, instead it's an opportunity. Feel free to ring me any weekday between 0700 and 0800 when I am on my exercise bike to chat things through - I am a good listener and I can give my considered thoughts on your difficult decision on what path to take. 

Love you all Christopher 

Mobile Zero795014757Two