Skip to main content

The War of The Lister

 




It’s only after stepping out of day-to-day valuing and reflecting on estate agency life that I have come to realise that most listers are fighting a war that no one else is participating in.

I used to tell myself there were all the other agents fighting against me.

Yet that’s simply not the case.

I was in fact fighting against my own demons.

The emotion of gaining the listing should be the same as the emotion of losing a listing - albeit one is positive and the other negative

Yet it isn’t is it?

We have all put ten houses on the market in a row and felt good, yet lost number 11 and our world has been ripped out

Why?

Because the type of person and their personality type that tend to become listers are particularly fearful of one thing.

Rejection

You aren’t in battle with other agents - you are in a battle with yourself.

How did I start to get over that fear?

Well it never goes away fully for me - yet I have learned to control it - and so can you

I have learned to manage my emotions by telling myself the rejection was nothing personal, and by doing so, I took steps to face my fears, and cultivate a strong sense of resilience

I reframed those fears and did that by talking to others in the EA industry.

Risky I know - yet it was like a weight being lifted

I had an ‘unofficial’ mentor to chat to.

That was brilliant as it allowed me verbalise my fears and by doing that, put my fears into language, and for some weird reason, it made the fear less fearful (is that English???)

The fear - It will never go away, yet by doing these exercises it can help you become better able to deal with and tolerate the fear of rejection.