Skip to main content

Letting agents ...not enough hours in the day to do your work?



I need a Property Manager to do the property management so I can do my work.

... and an accounts lady so I won't have to think about paying landlords and deposits so I can do my work.

.... and an admin person to process tenant applications and sort the paperwork so I can do my work..

... and a Lettings Manager who knows how to get properties on the books so I can do my work.

.... and Accompanied Viewers who think on their feet and don’t mess things up so I can do my work....

.... and a boss that not only doesn't make me go to meetings, but also instantly understands and adopts my best ideas, so I can get on with my work

.... an Inventory guy who does a perfect job that landlords and tenants don’t disagree with, so I can get on with my work

... an HR person to sort out HR stuff and Performance Reviews, so I can get on with my work

... a spare body that covers all holidays, so I can get on with my work

.... and a tea lady to bring me an espresso and bun + lunch, so I can get on with my work

.... and a social media bloke who posts every other minute on my behalf, so I can get on with my work

.... a person who will network at The Rotary Club or Masons, so I can get on with my work

... and my own personal bus lane so I don’t get stuck in traffic to and from work, enabling me to get on with my work

... and some one to do all the chores in the house, keeping the wife from nagging, so I can get on with my work

.By now, you've probably realised Mr (s) Letting agent ...this isn't going to happen. Not as completely or as perfectly as we'd like to hope. When working with other people, they do in fact help you in your work but that help also means that you are responsible. Letting agents who do great work also embrace the fact that it is part of their work to look after the staff. It's not merely an interruption or a distraction, it's part of what they do.

Only 10 to 15 years ago, you had to work with a pen and paper You needed to wait for the post office. There was internet, hardly any email, no Rightmove, .. you had to have an office paying expensive rent and rates, you had to go in the newspaper. There was no social media where thousands of potential clients could see what you did instantaneously. Letting agents didn’t have access to a huge library of info at their finger tips, which could answer any question you want to ask and yet, despite all of those missing elements, great letting agents were created.

My guess is that the few letting agents who find themselves isolated with nothing to do but what they believe is their work find a way to distract themselves with something anyway. I am guilty of this as well – ask my wife! ..and people who have too many distractions to actually do any real work are in that bind because they haven't invested enough time, effort or risk in their lettings company and their process.

Your job as the boss isn’t to get in the way of your staff, your job is to let your staff get on with their job ..  working in the business whilst your job is working on the business. Stop interfering with the day to day running of your company and get on with your job .. growing the business .. now tell you don’t have enough time ...